April 17, 2012
Self Respect
Impacts Self Esteem
Last week I wrote about the importance of deriving our self esteem
from the belief that I am part of a bigger story and that my
chapters are very important to me and those around me. No matter how
much someone may tell me I have nothing to contribute or that my
verses don’t matter, I have to accept that what I have to contribute
is valuable and is independent of however much praise I do or do not
receive.
As true as that is, there is another phenomenon at work that seeks
to rob us of the belief that we are valuable, capable, and have
influence over our lives. As much as I would like to wave a magic
wand over all of us and convince us that we are valuable no matter
what others tell us or the mistakes we’ve made, our humanity won’t
seem to let us escape very easily tying our worth to our performance
and decisions.
This is where self –respect comes in and why it is so important. We
want, as much as possible, to be proud of the decisions we make; how
we handle relationships, conflict, habits, what we do when no one
else is looking, etc. so we aren’t having to constantly battle the
feelings of failure that often accompany those times we feel we let
ourselves down. While self –respect is different than self-esteem it
is undeniable that the two are closely linked. It is hard to believe
my life is meaningful and I have a lot to contribute to my world if
I am making decisions of which I am not proud. It is a powerful lie
to tie one to the other but it is that very power that makes it so
hard to separate the two. Therefore, it is important to try to live
our lives as closely to what is honorable as we can. Taking the high
road of forgiveness, for example, may be counterintuitive to
everything we are feeling in the moment, but holding grudges will
eventually wear on us in very destructive ways. Similarly, if fear
is holding us back from something we really want to do then every
time we are confronted with the possibility of doing it but,
instead, give into the fear, it eats away at our self-respect a
little more.
In a perfect world, self-respect and self-esteem would not be
intertwined, but in reality, unfortunately, they almost always are.
I encourage all of us to live a life of which we are proud and if
there is something holding you back call me. I can help. This
is how to truly move to the next level.
Click here to comment on my FB page
April 12, 2012
Understanding Self Esteem
Most of my career I worked in the school system as a clinical
social worker and teachers, counselors, principals, and
everybody else focused on building a child’s self-esteem while
avoiding anything that they perceived might damage it. At the
elementary level this meant smiley faces on papers and pizza
parties for good behavior and telling everyone how wonderful
they were with no explanation as to what made them special.
Phrases like “good job” or “you are special” were thrown around
and people made a lot of money producing stickers that said the
same. The stickers were pasted on papers that hung on
refrigerator doors at home and stuck on shirts leaving that dark
sticky residue that, mostly moms, struggled to remove from the
fabric. Yet, in spite of these efforts, school performance
didn’t increase, bad behavior didn’t decrease, and the drop-out
rate continued to be a struggle and still does to this day. Why
is that?
I believe society has a fundamental misunderstanding of
self-esteem and, consequently, goes at developing it the wrong
way. After all, you can only hear generic flowery comments about
yourself for so long before they begin to lose their meaning and
you realize the person spewing them probably just has a need to
be liked and they believe by telling someone how special they
are over and over with nothing to back it up somehow
accomplishes this task. So what is the answer?
First of all, it is imperative to understand that self-esteem
can’t be earned or given but it is something that must be
believed on faith. I have to believe that I matter just because
I am, not because of what I am told or what I have accomplished.
I am created for a reason with a purpose to contribute to a
bigger story of mankind and creation. My life isn’t about just
doing things that make me feel good, though those things are
important spices, just not the main course. Rather it is about
finding my gifts and purpose and to contribute meaningfully to
society. The late Dr. Steven Glenn identifies three beliefs that
must be adopted in our belief system and passed on to others.
-
That I am capable
-
That I have influence over my life and the world around me
-
That I am significant
Those beliefs cannot be adopted by depending on someone else to
give us the “you’re great” mantra. They must be accepted by each
of us and incorporated in the way we live our lives and modeled
and taught for our children so they do not come to believe that
in order to feel good about themselves they have to depend on
pleasing others to get the medicine they need. If the foundation
is laid of living life for purpose and that my gifts are
necessary to make the world a better place then I have meaning.
When I understand that if I squander my gifts out of fear or
momentary pleasure that it not only costs me but it also costs
my circle of influence in the world, then I will get my worth
and have healthy self-esteem. Smiley faces become reminders of
but not the foundation of our worth.
Next week I will address self –respect, a different animal
entirely, but ties very closely to self-esteem. Until then, I
challenge each of us to discover the purpose that brings us
life, not to prove our worth, but to express it.
No comments:
Post a Comment