December 06, 2012
Spirals
I was considering today
the rut I've been fighting regarding lack of motivation and how I
have been clueless as to what to do about it. I haven't been
working on my book, building my practice, blogging, or journaling.
I wish I could say it is because I've been too busy, but that isn't
the problem. I have plenty of time. It isn't because I
have some unidentified fear holding me back either or that I'm
anxious or depressed. I've been to all those places before so
I know how they feel. So, what has been the problem?
Time for some much needed introspection.
The first thing I had to
discover was what had served as my motivation in the past. I
sorted through several possibilities but I finally saw that my push
to write usually came from an uneasiness about something that I felt
and a desire to sort through it and then express my insights.
I did it mostly for myself just to acknowledge my heart, but also
for anyone else who might care to read it and possibly find some
encouragement in my words. I also realized my motivation to
counsel people came from a desire to use a gift and passion God has
given me and for which I trained extensively. After really
digging in about what was keeping me from living out of my passion
for the last month I realized I had begun lying to myself again.
It crept up on me so quietly and slowly that I didn't even know the
lies were there. I had experienced some direct hits from some
folks who disagreed with some of the things I had written and I took
it too personally. I began to convince myself that it was just
better to keep my thoughts to myself and that began a spiral that
eventually led me to lose my passion to share what I felt God was
laying on my heart. The lie I began to believe was "I have
nothing valuable to say" which quickly turned to "I have nothing
valuable to offer". The real, underlying issue that crept up
in my brain again was the desire to make everybody happy.
That's what it boils down to for most of us isn't it? Doing
this introspective work freed me to apply the tools I teach others
and enabled me to interrupt and begin to reverse the spiral.
I am becoming convinced
that life is about spirals. We are either spiraling up or
spiraling down. I'm not sure we can just stay in one place.
That's the thing with lies we tell ourselves. They easily
spiral out of control in a downward direction taking us to crippling
places. Lies that produce fear can lead to paranoia which only
produces more fear. Lies that cause anxiety can produce panic
which just produces more anxiety. Depression leads to
isolation which increases the depression. You see the pattern.
Conversely, the truth sets us free to soar to new heights every day.
We would do well to pay attention to our behavior for that is our
clue to what we are saying to ourselves. If we have joy
(different from happiness) and life is working we will find truth in
what we believe about who we are and who God says we are. When
life isn't working well for us and we are experiencing feelings that
are holding us back, let's take the time to find the lie or lies
behind it. We all need to feel we are contributing to our
world in significant ways, not to prove our worth, but because we
have worth and we are compelled to share it. Don't let
downward spirals rob you of hopes and dreams and the expression of
your worth. It isn't fair to you or to those who love you.
No comments:
Post a Comment